Golfers and golf enthusiasts are making cancer care in Jamestown a hole in one.
More than 100 golfers helped raise $20,000 at Jamestown Regional Medical Center’s Golf “FORE” Good event on July 19. The proceeds support the new JRMC Cancer Center, said Lisa Jackson, JRMC Foundation Director.
“With the opening of the cancer center, this year was extra special,” Jackson said. “Thank you to the sponsors, players and volunteers who made it possible.”
Cancer is the leading cause of death for Stutsman County residents ages 45-84. And in a 60-mile radius of Jamestown, 252 people are diagnosed or die from cancer each year. Now that the JRMC Cancer Center is open, those residents no longer have to travel out of town for chemotherapy services.
In addition to raising money for the JRMC Cancer Center, golfers also raised $200 for the Continue Aiding Recipients Affected by Cancer Evermore (C.A.R.E.) Endowment Fund. The C.A.R.E. fund, established by Barb and Curt Togstad, provides gas cards to patients at JRMC.
Each player also received a commemorative shot glass as part of the “Best Shot of the Day” celebration in memory of the late Jerry Baenen, a long-time supporter of JRMC and other community organizations.
“Golf “FORE” Good is always a great time for a great cause. We have fun, however, we also remember the people who need our help and have touched our hearts,” Jackson said.
Golf “FORE” Good tournament winners include:
- 1st Hillerud Construction
- 2nd University of Jamestown
- 1st Great River Energy
- 2nd Unison Bank
Hole Contest Winners include:
- 1 Closest in Two – Mark Domek
- 2 Men’s Longest Drive – Jakobi Lux
- 3 Closest to the Right Fairway Bunker… – Jeanne Witt
- 4 Closest to the Pin – Dustin Jensen
- 5 Ladies Longest Drive – Sierra Bennion
- 6 Aurelius Driver Challenge – Calvin Leyendecker
- 10 Men’s Shortest Drive – Dan McGough
- 11 Longest Putt – Sarah Lacher
- 16 Ladies Shortest Drive – Mallory Schulz
Other winners include:
- Putting Contest: Mark Domek (3 Inches away)
- 50/50 Cash Raffle: Michelle Bruns
- Golf Pong: Mike Gergen, Calvin Leyendecker & Brent Giesler tied; tiebreaker went to Mike
- JRMC Auxiliary
- Community MRI
- Hillerud Construction
- Sanford Health
- Central Business Systems
- Great River Energy
- Ottmar & Ottmar P.C.
- Eide Bailly
- Delta Dental
- Climate Control
- Compeer Financial
- Barb and Curt Togstad Continue Aiding Recipients Affected by Cancer Evermore (C.A.R.E.) Endowment Fund
- Casey’s General Store
- Dakota Central
- DCI Credit Services, Inc.
- Dixon Golf
- Mary Aaland
- Ed Ryan “Read to Them”
- Jamestown Area Chamber of Commerce
- Jetstream Car Wash
- Papa Murphy’s
- Shady’s Restaurant & Lounge
- The Pix Squad
- Vaaler Insurance, Inc.
- Vogel Law Firm
- Wilhelm Chevrolet Buick GMC+
Next year’s event is set for: Friday, July 17, 2020.